The Sacrament of Baptism for Young Children
St. Charles Church recommends that preparation for the Sacrament of Baptism begins three months in advance of the anticipated date of the ceremony.
Preparation may begin before the birth of the child. (For children over the age of seven years, please see the information for Older Children.)
Baptisms are celebrated at Sunday Mass or Sunday afternoons at 1:00 PM.
To prepare for the Sacrament of Baptism, parents must attend a baptismal catechesis class to deepen their understanding of their roles in the religious formation of the child. Godparents may also attend a baptismal catechesis class, but are not required. Parents may contact St. Charles parish to register for the one-hour class, which is offered monthly.
The parent or guardian of the child chooses the godparent(s). Two godparents may be chosen, but only one is required. If two godparents are chosen, there must be one male and one female. Each godparent must meet the following criteria:
- At least 16 years old at the time of the Baptism
- Not a parent of the child
- Fully initiatied Catholic, having completed Catholic sacramental initiation through Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation
- Registered member of a parish, regularly participating in weekly Sunday Eucharistic liturgy and giving witness to faith in Jesus Christ by taking an active role in the parish, especially in receiving the Eucharist
- Continues to grow in the knowledge and understanding of Catholic faith according to the opportunities available (i.e. adult faith formation programs, scripture and spiritual reading, performing Christian service, etc.)
- Commits to support the godchild by continued interest and prayer for his/her Catholic Christian growth and by the Catholic Christian example of daily life
Christian Baptismal Witness
If a family wishes to include one person who is a baptized Christian, but not Catholic, they may include that person as a Christian Baptismal Witness. Please see the following forms for more infomation. Please complete and submit the registration forms and review the Godparent and Christian Baptismal Witness forms as necessary to begin the process.
- Family Registration for Child's Baptism
- Catholic Godparent Form
- Christian Witness Form (non-Catholic participant in a Roman Catholic Baptism)
Questions? Please contact us at 650-591-7349 or email@example.com We look forward to learning more about your family!