History of St Charles Parish

Casente_20101205_stchrecept046.jpg

A New Church

When San Carlos was incorporated as a city in 1925, there was a small but growing number of Catholic families in the new city.  Three years later, Archbishop Edward Hanna of San Francisco decided the time had come to establish a new parish in the young but growing city.  A one acre parcel of land on Walnut Street near Cherry was purchased, and the building of a new church was begun.

Significant dates for St Charles Parish

June 23, 1929

The first pastor, Father Harold Crampton, celebrated the first mass in the church built on Walnut Street (now Casa de Flores)

1948

Land purchased on Tamarack Avenue

1950

St Charles School opened on Tamarack Avenue

1951

St Charles Church moved to the "new" Church  on Tamarack Avenue (currently the School gymnasium)

1952

St Charles Rectory was built

1959

The Convent was built (currently the Parish Center)

1966

The current St Charles Church building was dedicated

1994

Borromeo Hall was completed

2011

The current St Charles Church building was re-dedicated after the roof repair and interior renovation